Wednesday, March 11, 2015

That I Might Find Joy

"Adam fell that men might be and men are, that they might have joy."
We are on this earth to be happy and find joy in living. Yet, there is a lot that can prevent us from being happy. Personally, I have found times where I truly struggle with this. I have been in a phase where I have felt a little lost and clueless. Life at times, just seemed so tedious and even pointless. My schedule seemed to become the same thing with no variation and nothing to look forward to. It was so easy to be discouraged or frustrated when nothing seemed to go my way that day or when there was no excitement in the routine. I got to a point where I felt as if life has been sucked out of living and I was only going through the motions. I
 had no goal, no purpose, no direction and not much I could do about it.
I quickly learned that I hated feeling this way and that I needed something to look forward to. I looked for anything and everything that I could be excited for. On one particularly rough day I took a little time out of my schedule took some time for myself to just think reset. I was amazed at the effects. I took a walk to the nearest park and spent some time on the swings. Something so simple and unimportant, but it made the world of difference. Within five minutes I felt great! I still wasn't completely up to speed, but it definitely put a lift on my day. I decided that I needed to take action and even though my life didn't contain much excitement, I had to make it exciting.

It has been easier then what I thought, I have to make a point to look for one thing each day to be excited for. Even as simple as looking forward to having one of my frozen burritos for lunch (even though that is what I was having two out of my three meals a day). I would look forward to a little free time I allowed each day after a bit of homework. Other times it would be for one of the class discussions we were to have that day. I also worked on weekly things to look forward to and so throughout the week I make a very special effort to plan something fun to do saturdays. I have been a huge fan of going on little adventures, usually a hike or to explore some new dirt roads in my little car. This has helped me with keeping my eyes on the finish line (or, in this case, the week end). As Dory (from the movie Finding Nemo) puts it to, "just keep swimming!"

I have quickly learned that it was all in my mind set. Yes, rough days come, but that is alright, there is always something that we can look forward to. Just take it day by day, week by week. Heavenly Father wants us to be happy, that is what His whole plan is all about. I know that even when life seems void of excitement or worthy goals to chase, Heavenly Father will provide things to aid us in our journey if we are willing to put forth our own effort in becoming happy. Heavenly Father places in our lives opportunities and a small dose of perspective that can then allow us to make it through. I know this because He has done so and continues to do so for me. Life is that we might find joy. Joy in doing, joy in enduring, and joy in living!!

1 comment:

  1. Something that came along with the fall of Adam was the guarantee of our agency, our ability to make decisions for ourselves. And I have found that like in that scripture "Adam fell that men might be and men are that they might have joy." It is necessary for us to have this joy by using our agency. We are meant to be happy, that is God's plan for us, but we have to choose to be happy! I love how this article talks about being happy about the frozen burritos and the adventures. We can choose things that make us happy, we can create the circumstances that allow us to be happy. The devil is trying to make us unhappy and miserable, but we can overcome him. We can decide that whatever happens makes us happy, or that what we do to cope or solve our struggles make us happy. I think this is the greatest skill to ever develop, to choose the plan God has and be happy.

    ReplyDelete